OUR VOLUNTEERING PHILOSOPHY
When you become a Ponheary Ly Foundation volunteer, you become much more than just a volunteer on the ground. We view being a volunteer as an opportunity for individuals to bring a wide range of expertise and help us to constantly improve the quality and effectiveness of our programs. Our volunteers inject new ideas, fresh energy, they help keep our team, students, and teachers enthused. They are often also our strongest advocates for the cause of our students; raising funds, raising awareness, and talking about us on the inter-webs before and after their time volunteering.
Our Volunteer program is guided by the following core understandings and objectives:
- Fostering opportunities for impactful and sustainable volunteer practices that are mutually beneficial to our volunteers and to our team, students, and teachers
- Striving to educate others on the detriments of voluntourism, encouraging critical thought about the value of volunteering, and promoting dignity.
- Putting our students’ interests first by upholding child safe volunteering practices at all times
- Adaptability. Cambodia carries with it a degree of unpredictability but also tremendous possibility – all of our volunteers must be flexible, comfortable working independently, and ready to jump right in with the team
For a full overview of our program details, please read our Volunteer Orientation Guide.
Our schedule is open and first-come, first-served except for the following dates:
April (Khmer New Year), Mid-October – Mid-November (Opening Day and School Uniforms and Supplies Distributions), Late December (Staff Holidays).
Please note, we will also not be accepting volunteers July 15th-August 15th 2018 as a precaution during the national election.
There is no fee associated with our volunteer program. The costs to you are those necessary for basic living needs while in Siem Reap (accommodation, meals, etc), transportation to/from school, and traveler’s insurance. We require all volunteers to have traveler’s insurance that includes medical evacuation while volunteering with PLF.
- a 2 week minimum commitment
- to prepare for your daily classroom activities prior to arriving
- to be at least 18 years old (or accompanied by an adult)
- to agree to our:
Background Check Requirement: We require a background check for all volunteers from your respective country of nationality or residency. Pending the acceptance of your application, our Operations Director will contact you to advise you on the steps that you need to take to comply with this requirement.
Not enough time to volunteer? Check out our Help for a Day program!